Friday, July 24, 2015

Man who wore XXXXXXXL clothes sheds EIGHTEEN STONE after being told he was too fat to work… and is crowned slimmer of the year

                      Derek Avery, 54, has been transformed by overhauling his diet and lifestyle for a yearDerek Avery, 54, weighed 32 stone and is pictured wearing a size 7XL jumper, shirt and jeans
A 32-stone man who was so overweight he took taxis everywhere lost more than half his body weight after he was diagnosed with diabetes, told he was too fat too work and abused by strangers - all in the space of one day.
Derek Avery, 54, from Newcastle, weighed 31st 10lbs and fitted into a size 7XL when he received the devastating news about his health and job in just 24 hours.
Cruel taunts from two different groups of boys who shouted at him in the street were the final straw and Mr Avery has lost 18 stone.


                 The charity worker drinks a pint back in his unhealthy days when he would have sausage and bacon for dinnerDerek now wears a man's size large and weighs 14 stone after deciding to tackle his health
Mr Avery, a charity worker, said: 'I cried when I got home that day and the tears stung, but looking back it was the perfect storm because had those things happened on different days they might not have prompted me to take action in the same way.
He was so obese he could not even walk to the bus stop - so took taxis everywhere.
Mr Avery said: 'I felt ashamed that I had effectively disabled myself.
I got taxis everywhere because I couldn't even walk to the bus stop - it was making me very poor.'
After being overweight even as a schoolboy - his doctor put him on a diet aged eight - Mr Avery continued to pile on the pounds.

          He's a new man! When Derek, posing of a cardboard cut out of a picture showing him at the height of his weight, first walked to his Slimming World group it took him 25 minutes, now he can do it in two minutes

But his weight ballooned after losing his parents in 2002 and 2004 and spending 11 months out of work in 2010.


It was in June 2014, he discovered he might lose his job and was facing serious health complications, Mr Avery knew he had to do something.
He said: 'I had an appointment at my doctors at 8.30am where I was told I had diabetes.
'Then I arrived at work to be surprised with a meeting in which I was informed that there were real concerns about my ability to do my job, which involves getting out and about with the people our charity supports.
'Finally on the way home, two separate gangs of lads shouted horrible abuse at me from passing cars.
I call that day "Fateful Thursday" now.'
At his heaviest Mr Avery struggled to walk even short distances and needed medication for high blood pressure.

                             Slimmer Of The Year champ Derek shows off his incredible new slimline look


So after a recommendation from the practice nurse at his GP surgery and his sister-in-law, he joined a local Slimming World group with consultant Emily Moir.
He stopped his diet of chips and sharing bags of crisps for healthy salads and homemade meals.
Mr Avery, who lives with his partner of 25 years Graham Davison, 52, said: 'I was very apprehensive as I didn't think there would be very many men in the group.
The welcome I received soon put paid to my worries though, and I found nothing but encouragement and warmth.
'I genuinely enjoy going to Slimming World every Saturday morning - we have fabulous fun - and I've made such good friends.

                       The charity-worker says you can't help people lose weight by shaming them and wants to work in obesity, helping to remove the stigma and prejudice around people who need shed pounds
'What really appealed to me about Slimming World was the sustainability and that I didn't have to restrict myself.
'I'd tried losing weight following meal-replacement diets before but as soon as I stopped I piled all the weight back on, and I missed cooking because I love being in the kitchen.
'Now I cook meals like chicken tikka masala with rice or homemade lasagne for myself and Graham and I can honestly say I've never felt hungry or deprived.
'The biggest change for me was my outlook on myself, my weight and my food choices, I never say I've been good or bad, because I know feeling guilty is counterproductive and will just send me to comfort eating


Now he has lost 17st 9lbs weighing just 14 stone after a year's worth of healthy eating and has been named Slimming World Man of the Year.
Mr Avery used to weight 31st 10lbs and wore a 7XL to 14st and a size large.
His health and fitness have improved immensely - his blood pressure is lower, he is free from any risk of diabetes and he loves walking and swimming.
He also says his mood and sleeping have improved, too.
Derek added: 'When I first joined Slimming World it took me 25 minutes to walk to the group, now it takes me two. My practice nurse Pauline is delighted with my progress.'
And because he is no longer paying for taxis everywhere, he managed to save for a weekend away in Edinburgh with Graham.
He said: 'We walked all around the city and it was fantastic. I seriously thought I would die young and now I plan to live a very long and active life.


'Now I want to make it my life's work that we remove stigma and prejudice against people who are overweight.
'I don't think you can help people to change by shaming them or making them feel embarrassed. Slimming World certainly showed me a different way.
'I was ashamed of how big I'd let myself get and the way that some people treated me - like those boys in their cars that Thursday- compounded those feelings.
'When I walked into Slimming World there was no judgment or discrimination. The understanding and kindness I was shown helped me to start to be kinder to myself and gave me the confidence and self-belief to make the changes that I have.
'No one is more surprised than me at everything that I've achieved in the past year and I think that if I can do this, anyone can - with a bit of support, of course.' 


HOW DEREK TRANSFORMED HIS DIET 

BEFORE 
Breakfast: toast with peanut butter or butter and a cup of coffee
Lunch: often nothing
Dinner: fried sausages and bacon with chips and beans
Snacks: big sharing bag of crisps, biscuits, ice cream

AFTER
 Breakfasthomemade omelette with mushrooms and tomatoes
Lunch: a big salad with smoked salmon
Dinner: homemade chicken tikka masala with rice followed with a fresh fruit salad  topped with fat-free yogurt
Snacks: fruit, veg sticks, a small chocolate bar




2 comments: